Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Park

          On Friday, the weather was absolutely perfect for a morning outside.  The humidity was minimal and we had such a nice breeze.  I decided it was a perfect day for the park.
          And I love the park in my hometown.  I have always loved it.  It's a sprawling expanse of grass, trees, a lake, and many play grounds.  There are baseball and softball fields, a band shell, a pool, and tennis courts.  I began playing soccer in this park when I was four years old.  I used to feed the ducks that visit the pond.  I waded in the low creek that meanders around one of it's borders.  We watched fireworks as a family in the park every Fourth of July.  When I was older, I learned to play tennis on the courts in this park.  I worked as a lifeguard at the pool and taught swim lessons during the summer.  I ran my hometown cross country meets here.  I played mud volleyball with friends in the Fourth of July tournament.  So many memories...
          I thought of these memories as I was sitting with my precious girls in the same park.  While we were sitting on our blanket watching robins dance in the grass, I pointed to the field and said, "This is where Mommy learned to play soccer."  At that same moment, I saw one of my Jr. High teachers jog by, running the same route she's been running since I was a student in her class.  The familiarity was warm and comforting for me, and I smiled as I watched Audrey chase a robin into the field while Claire practiced crawling on our blanket.

1 comment:

Brad & Kimber said...

I love this post Erika! It sounded like a chapter out of a book. I have many of the same memories from the park near our house growing up and can't wait to take Micah there. How special!