Tuesday, July 26, 2011

On the Ground - July 7th

          On Thursday, July 7th, we boarded a plane in London and flew 8 1/2 hours to Nairobi.  As we were flying over Africa, I looked out of my window and saw the Nile River stretched out before me.  I just kept thinking, "Really? I'm flying over Africa?!"  And then our plane touched down in Nairobi.  Our entire group waited for our bags.  With all of the bags of supplies we brought over (the medical team alone had nearly 30 bags of medicines and supplies), only ONE bag did not show up in baggage claim. Unfortunately, it was the personal bag of one of the high school students.  Matt helped her file a claim with the baggage personnel while the rest of our group loaded a truck with our bags.  (Thankfully, the bag arrived at our guest house three days after we arrived).  After getting all of the bags into the back of a big truck, we got on to a bus and made our way to our guest house.
          It was nearly 11 p.m. local time when we landed, so we did not get to "see" Africa in our first hours there.  We arrived at The Grace House just before midnight, so the staff at the hotel gave us our room keys and showed us to our rooms.  The Grace House was very clean and much nicer than I had expected.  All of the married couples were given their own private room, so Matt and I had a room with a double bed, a wardrobe, a desk, a TV, and a private bathroom.  Each day, we ate breakfast and dinner at the guest house, and if we returned in time in the late afternoon, the guest house had "tea time," serving delicious Kenyan Chai Tea.  Our accommodations were very comfortable!
This is the picture of our guest house from the main road in front of it.

Matt and I enjoying some Chai later in our week (we're sitting in the beautiful outdoor patio area).

No comments: